This year I became a debutante for the San Antonio German Club. I have used Rent the Runway for every single debutante party and have had such a great experience! A lot of these debutante events require a floor-length gown and my mother and I both agreed that there was just simply no need to buy multiple floor-length gowns that I was only going to wear once. Therefore, I discovered the wonderful Rent the Runway website!
If you don’t know, Rent the Runway is a website that has everything from dresses, jewelry, and essentials such as Spanx, fashion tape, adhesive bras, and more. Just like their name says, Rent the Runway offers designer items that you can find straight from the runway!
I personally am obsessed with Rent the Runway because it is the perfect way to wear a fabulous dress to a special occasion, and not be tempted to outfit repeat. Not only is it great for avoiding an outfit repeat, but it is also great for when you need a certain dress, such as a formal gown, that you will probably only wear once and there’s no need for you to purchase it and have it sitting in the back of your closet sadly gathering dust.
How Rent the Runway Works:
- Choose your “Rental Delivery Date” — exactly which month/day you want your item(s) to be delivered and sitting beautifully at your doorstep. *Note: I would choose your items to be delivered one or two days before you actually need to wear them, just in case there is an issue in delivery.
- Choose your size
- Type in your zip code
You can then choose…
- Your price range! — One of my favorite tools while shopping online, that way you can avoid temptation (I clearly have too much temptation while shopping online) of items that you just can’t afford.
- Color/Print — This is a great way to avoid wasting time looking at things you might not need, if you’re shopping in a hurry! For instance, trying to find a dress for a Valentine’s Day themed party and only wanting a pink or red dress.
- Length of Dress (if you’re shopping for dresses) — You can choose short: mini, mid-thigh length, knee-length, or tea length. Or you can choose to search for long dresses!
- Trend — Choose from a wide variety of today’s trends such as: beaded, burgundy, color-block, cut outs, emerald, jumpsuits, lace, maxi, metallic, peplum, or sequins! It’s practically like a personal shopper telling you exactly what is in-style!
- Body Type — Which includes: apple, athletic, bump friendly (for the women that are expecting out there!), full bust, hourglass, pear, petite, and straight & narrow.
- Occasion — Which includes: date, formal affair, party, vacation, and wedding.
- Sleeve — Which includes: 3/4 sleeve, cap sleeve, long sleeve, short sleeve, sleeveless, and strapless.
- Neckline — Which includes: boat, cowl, crew, halter, high neck, off the shoulder, one shoulder, scoop, shirt collar, square, straight, sweetheart, and v-neck.
- Age — Which includes: teens, early 20s, late 20s, 30s, and 40s +
- Style — Which includes: classic, edgy, feminine, preppy, and trendy.
- Designer — Which includes a long list of great designers from A-Z!
How You Rent Your Item(s):
- Select your size (if it isn’t already there)
- Select a second FREE size — This is a great bonus!! I know that shopping for clothes online can be scary because every body is different, but this free additional size makes trying on dresses from the Internet easy! Plus you can measure yourself using the size & fit notes
- Select the days you would like your dress to arrive — You can choose either 4 days or 8 days. Be sure to choose it before your original scheduled delivery date, I would say a day or two before your scheduled delivery date just to be safe.
What Happens Next?
You’ll receive your item(s) and love them, that’s what happens next! But really, you will, and you will also receive a pre-addressed envelope for when you need to send your item(s) back to Rent the Runway.
What I Love about Rent the Runway:
- Free additional size, need I say more?
- You don’t even have to dry clean the dress before sending it back, again, need I say more? One less thing to pay for!
- Speaking of one less thing to pay for, Rent the Runway includes a pre-addressed envelope for when you need to send your item(s) back! I personally dread going to the Post Office to return items because sometimes it’s just a hassle, but this pre-addressed envelope makes it all so simple! You just put your item(s) in the envelope and drop it off at the Post Office, that’s it!
- Customer photos — This might be my absolute favorite part about Rent the Runway. All dresses look good on a model, we all hope they’ll look the same on us but let’s face it we’re not all a size zero. Customer photos allow you to look at tons of pictures that real customers have uploaded onto the Rent the Runway website. These reviews include photos, what size they bought, sometimes their body type or size even, the extra size they ordered, and a detailed but brief review about what they liked/disliked and what worked/didn’t work. I usually read reviews before I buy anything online, and I always submit reviews after purchasing items online, but, in my opinion, Rent the Runway truly “takes the cake” for best review method. Their customer reviews really do help!
- Avoiding the temptation to re-wear an outfit — Let me make myself clear, I absolutely 100% am an outfit repeater. However, for big events such as a party or wedding, I really try not to repeat a dress (at least within the same year). I think a fancy dress is such a beautiful thing and so memorable that it needs one and only one magnificent debut, and then it can be saved for a later date. Although, I do break this rule when it comes to solid color dresses. You can easily “change-up” a solid color dress with new jewelry, a new clutch, or unique pumps! But with patterned dresses I try to stick to my rule of not re-wearing the outfit.
- It’s perfect for ordering something in advance, and not having to worry about it when it comes close to that special occasion.
I hope this helps! Now go rent yourself something special!!