Hello fellow craft lovers!
One of my favorite hobbies is doing Do It Yourself projects. There are so many things that you can create for half the price (or less!) of what you could buy them for. In college I made many DIY projects because I was on a tight budget. I created canvases for my “little sisters” in my sorority. I also created decor for my room! You can create so many things if you take the time to do it, and it doesn’t ever take too long!
Today, I will be teaching you how to make a Sharpie mug! I was originally inspired to make these when I found many cute mugs on Pinterest. There were some mugs that said “his” and “hers,” and there were others that said “Don’t talk to me until I have my morning coffee.” There were a lot of cute and funny mugs! I kept wondering where they bought them, but then I decided that I didn’t really need to spend money on a coffee mug, when I could create one!
Hence the Sharpie Mug DIY project. I made these mugs for my friends for Christmas this year! This was a SUPER easy project and turned out really great! I’m looking forward to trying different colors and designs in the future. For this mug design, I was inspired by Kate Spade New York products, so I incorporated the gold polka dots into my design and my friends’ first initials so that they were personal gifts. This is a really fun and easy DIY project and a great gift idea!
- Sharpie (I chose gold, but you can use any color that you want!)
- A mug (I bought mine for $3.00 at Wal-Mart, I couldn’t find any white mugs that I liked at the Dollar Store at the time, but that is also a great, and cheaper, option!)
- An oven
How To Make Your Sharpie Mug:
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Think of a design that you want for your mug. — You can get ideas from your favorite designer (my design inspiration is Kate Spade, but Mara Hoffman could be a fun and challenging design also!) or you can Google “designs.” Or you could also think of a favorite quote to write on your mug!
- Draw your design on your mug with your Sharpie(s).
- Make sure to go over the design a second time, maybe even a third, so that it won’t fade and it will look extra shiny! Press hard with your Sharpie to be sure that your design comes out well.
- Place your mug(s) in the oven once it’s ready at 350 degrees.
- Set your timer for 30 minutes.
- Once 30 minutes have passed, let your mugs cool for about 15-20 minutes inside the oven. Don’t forget to turn off the oven! Do not touch the mugs until they have had time to cool, they will be very hot!!
And voila! Your DIY Sharpie Mug is complete!!