Ever since the beginning of May, when I graduated from Ole Miss, I have been stressing about where my life path will take me. I have been applying to jobs, editing my resume almost weekly for any possible errors, and checking my inbox like it’s my job.
However, I have recently been trying to focus on bettering myself. What do I mean by bettering myself? I mean pushing myself, taking a leap and applying for jobs that I thought I wasn’t good enough for. I mean educating myself, finding out who I am and what’s going on around me, researching jobs, cities, companies, clients, and case studies. This has all been a lot of work but it has been very rewarding.
Today’s blog post includes three websites that have been very helpful for me and I am currently obsessing over.
I have been trying to educate myself by subscribing to companies such as GoTidbits and the Skimm and reading up!
GoTidbits is a website with “the inside scoop for the gal about town.” You can choose to subscribe to Tidbits for the inside scoop on a variety of cities such as: Atlanta, Austin, Charlotte, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Minneapolis, Nashville, New Orleans, San Antonio, and San Diego. Or you can subscribe to “everywhere” to learn the inside scoop on all of the listed cities! You can also choose to subscribe to Kidbits! I follow San Antonio Tidbits, Dallas Tidbits, Austin Tidbits, and Houston Tidbits because those are the primary areas that I am looking for jobs. When you subscribe, you will get free Tidbit emails sent to your inbox twice-weekly!
This is a great subscription if you are new to one of the cities listed above, or if you are simply wanting to get more involved! Tidbits has all the inside information about absolutely everything for women, including: local fashion, cuisine, cocktail culture, beauty, and tidbits. There is also TidbitsTreats which provides subscribers with coupons to places around town! Also, Tidbits has a Tastemakers section where Tidbits sits down and has a couple of cocktails with the stars! You can read interviews with people such as Bravo Star Brad Goreski, Lauren Conrad, Tory Burch, Brian Patrick Flynn, Jonathan Adler, and so many more interesting people! Tidbits is also in the process of creating a Social Diary, which is a social calendar with dates for sip and style events. This calendar is perfect for someone who is new in town and wants to meet people, or if you want to score some great deals at local stores!
To subscribe to GoTidbits, click here.
The Skimm is a free subscription that sends you daily emails Monday-Friday about what is going on in the world. If you’re young or in your early 20s like me, this is a great way to stay in touch with the news. My favorite thing about this subscription is that they do the reading for you, you just have to skim through! No need to go to several different newspaper website, or read through several different newspapers, but who reads newspapers nowadays? Sad, but true. These daily emails are a great thing to read first thing in the morning so that you are caught up and know what’s going on in the world around you.
Today’s Skimm included…
- A quote of the day, which was from Steve Martin (one of my favorite actors, he is such a precious old man).
- Lots of information regarding the Islamic extremist group, ISIS, and Iran.
- The World Cup news – who beat who, what teams are playing today, even a special term called a “hat trick” so that you can impress others in conversation about the World Cup.
- News about the Russian gas company Gazprom
- News about Kenya
- The death of Tony Gwynn (baseball legend)
- News about Argentina
- Things to know (Shangri-La is not a place, it’s a fictional paradise from a 1930s novel and is now a luxury hotel chain).
- Skimm Gift (enter to win a VIP trip for a two-night stay at The Breakers in Palm Beach, $500 Lilly Pulitzer Shopping spree, a $500 Travel Voucher, and more!!)
To subscribe to theSkimm, click here.
Both GoTidbits and theSkimm are great subscriptions to further your knowledge about what’s going on in your life, both locally and worldwide! Trust me, you’re going to want to subscribe to these two companies and you won’t regret it!
What’s your personality type?
Tonight I took a quiz that showcases possible career paths for different personality types from Good Co’s Personality Canvas. My quiz results were surprisingly very accurate! FYI the quiz is completely free, the website is not a scam (that was my first reaction when I saw a link for a personality quiz…which other companies actually charge to see results for).
- I am both an idealist and an advocate. But I am more of an idealist. My idealist side says that I am innovative and tolerant. My advocate side says that I am empathetic, reliable, and pragmatic.
- My unique strengths are that I am warm, fair, patient, friendly, steady, and methodical.
- My unique idealist traits are that I am someone who is very understanding and tolerant.
- My ideal organizational archetype: Nuclear Family. According to the website, the Nuclear Family is, “Like the Brady Bunch of the working world, the Nuclear Family is fun, creative, and collaborative. Although they’re quite innovative and enjoy a family-like atmosphere, they maintain a structured environment and adhere to a clear employment hierarchy. Employees can expect fair compensation and opportunity for advancement based on seniority (groovy bellbottoms not included).”
- My workplace approach: “You tend to be conscientious, accurate, and methodical. You like to stick to the plan. You are likely to be well-organized. You are good with deadlines. You tend to always meet your obligations. You will more often than not do your share of the work. You hate to let others down. You are likely to be a team player who doesn’t seek personal glory. You prefer your role to be clearly defined. You tend to be more of a persuader rather than a dominant leader. You are very encouraging of people. You are good at delegating work and getting people involved. You are likely to be friendly and relaxed with others. You tend be among the most likeable on a team.”
But the website doesn’t only give you results, it gives you lots of other information regarding your personality type in the workplace!
The website also tells you about your…
- Social type (mine is motivating!)
- Work type (mine is collaborative!)
- Key trait (mine is curiosity!)
- Famous celebrities (celebrities with your personality traits)
- Career tips (for people with your personality type)
- Ideal jobs
- Work style
- How to communicate with people of your same personality type
- How to handle conflict with people of your same personality type
- How your archetype works with others (i.e. rock, technician, humanitarian, dreamer, go-getter, socialite, protector, strategist, inventor, straight shooter, advocate, maverick, caretaker, visionary, and mastermind)
Once you have found out your archetype you can…
- See fit with your job – See how well you fit with your company and manager at your current job (anonymously).
- Find peer compatibility
- Understand your team
- View company cultures – Find somewhere that lets you shine, discover companies and teams that match your work style.
- Explore high-fit jobs – Discover jobs that are in-sync with your personality, skills, and ambitions.
You can also share your quiz results via Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, or email so that prospective employers can learn more about you!
I hope these websites interest you and help you out as much as they have helped me out!